Skip to content


Permanent Green Card - National Interest Waiver


To qualify for a National Interest Green Card you must pass the the General EB-2 Eligibility Test and the National Interest Waiver:

  • Advanced Degree Holders – are those who have advanced educational degrees such as a bachelor’s or a Master’s Degree and 5 years of experience in their field.
  • People with exceptional abilities – are those who have demonstrated exceptional abilities and achievements in business, arts, or sciences.
  • Those who can obtain a National Interest Waiver – are those who can demonstrate that working in the U.S would benefit the country and is in the U.S national interest.

If you belong to any of these groups, then you have a chance to get an EB-2 visa. Getting an EB-2 visa means that you will move permanently to the U.S. You will work there in your field of expertise, and you will enjoy the rights of permanent Green Card holders. You are required to pay all applicable taxes and follow the U.S laws. You are allowed to travel in and out of the U.S, change jobs after a few years, move from one state to the other and so on. Additionally, when you qualify, you can also apply for a U.S citizenship and become naturalized.

Since the employment-based visas have a limit on the annual number of visas issued, out of the 140,000 immigration visas, 28.6% are allocated for EB-2 visas as well as any visas that are left from EB-1 visas. This means that 40,040 visas plus those left by the EB-1 visa are for the EB-2 visa category. 

What are the requirements for the EB-2 visa?

To be eligible for an EB-2 visa, there are requirements which the foreign employee or worker and the U.S employer must meet. To qualify as an Advanced Degree Holder, you must fulfill these requirements:

  • Prove through academic records that you have an advanced educational degree such as a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree or a U.S equivalent
  • Have previous employer’s letters proving that you have 5 years of experience in your field of expertise after you completed your bachelor’s degree


To qualify as a person with exceptional abilities or a national interest waiver, you must meet three of the criteria below:

  • Show diplomas, certificates, or awards which prove you have achieved excellence in business, arts, or sciences, or other fields of expertise
  • Have letters from employers proving at least 10 years of full-time job experience in your field of study
  • Have a license or a certification which shows you can to practice your profession
  • Prove that you have had a high salary in your previous jobs which show that you have exceptional abilities
  • Show that you have membership in one or more professional associations
  • Prove that you have won recognitions for your achievements and contribution in your field of expertise by your peers, professional organizations, or the government
  • For the national interest waiver, you must also submit proof that your work is in the interest of the U.S government


If you are a U.S employer who wants to hire a person and sponsor the foreign worker for an EB-2 visa, you must meet these requirements:

  • Prove that you could not find an available, willing, or qualified U.S worker and so you need to hire a foreign worker
  • Prove that you will not discriminate towards the foreign worker and will pay them the same wage you would pay a U.S worker in the same job position
  • Prove that your company is financially stable and can afford to pay the foreign worker


Complete medical examination and vaccination

In the NVC package, there will also be requirements about medical examinations and vaccination that the applicant must conduct. The applicant must go to a licensed doctor to complete the documents and have them signed.

You will then send supporting documents for your case:

  • Your passport which must be valid for more than 6 months after your intended departure to the U.S
  • Your employment offer from the U.S employer
  • The approved labor certification
  • The approved petition
  • Your DS-261 confirmation page
  • Your signed medical and vaccine documents
  • Two passport photographs
  • Academic achievements (diplomas and certificates)
  • Your CV or resume
  • Letters from previous employers
  • If applying for a National Interest Waiver, submit proof of why your work is in the national interest of the U.S.
  • Court and criminal records
  • Depending on the case, the NVC might require other supporting documents, so you must follow their instructions carefully.

Can I bring my family to the U.S with an EB-2 visa?

If you have an approved and valid EB-2 visa, then you can have your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old join you. Your spouse must apply for the E-21 visa and your children for the E-22 visa.


How to start the process?

Contact Navy Financial via phone or email to discuss your individual needs.

We take care of your books for you, so you can get back to the job of running your business and generating profits.
Learn More...
We offer payroll solutions that meet your business's needs and enable you to spend time doing what you do best--running your company.
Learn More...
We offer one-on-one guidance and a comprehensive financial plan that helps manage risk, improve performance, and ensure the growth and longevity of your wealth.
Learn More...

© Navy Financial 2021